Tell us a little bit about yourself and how you support the Charlottesville community?
I am an interior designer and co-owner of a Montessori-inspired design company, A Day to Play Design Co. We specialize in curating beautiful spaces that will evoke your child’s imagination and curiosity. I love to design all areas of the home!
If we want to support you and learn more about your business, how can we find you?
Business IG: @adaytoplaydesignco
What inspired you to start your own business?
I have been interested in interior design for as long as I can remember! From a young age I was always rearranging my room, helping friends clean and organize their rooms, and picking up design magazines from Barnes and Noble whenever I was in there. Eventually, I decided to make my passion my career and ended up studying interior design at The Interior Design Institute, based in San Francisco. In 2015, I started my business!
Being a business owner is incredibly important to me. I am so grateful to be able to do what I love and to be in control of my schedule so that I can be home with my children as much as possible.
What advice would you give to another mom looking to start her own business?
Go for it! Taking the leap can be nerve wracking but it is so worth the hard work and sacrifices. If you are serious about it you will make it work.
How do you manage home life and work life?
I can be home most of the time and only work away from home when I am physically on site during a project. I try to do most of my work during my little one’s nap time and after bedtime. Its not always easy but I make it work! I also have an amazing husband who helps me in any way he can.
What are your top 3 must dos in the Charlottesville/surrounding area?
1. Stroll the Downtown Mall. We love having brunch at one of the restaurants on a Saturday or Sunday morning and then just walk around and check out the shops.
2. Walk the Monticello Trail and Carter’s Mountain. This is one of our favorite activities in the Fall, it is so beautiful this time of year! It is also a frequent activity of ours while I have been pregnant. The trail is great for walking baby out, I went into labor with my first while on the trail!
3. Spend the afternoon at a local vineyard or brewery with friends. There are so many to choose from and they are all great.
What is your favorite Green Bean product and why?
Pajamas! We love Posh Peanut and Little Sleepies. They are the softest pajamas ever and come in so many adorable prints and colors.
Tell us one of your favorite “mom hacks”!
Declutter! Less stuff in your home means less to clean up. This is especially important in children’s play areas and bedrooms.
Share one of your family’s favorite recipes!
Green Blender Muffins!
My son and I make these muffins together all time! I posted a video of us making them on my Instagram and was flooded with messages asking for the recipe. They are healthy and delicious!
2 cups Flour
1 ½ tsp Ground Cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp Salt
½ cup Coconut Oil (melted)
¾ cup Milk
¼ cup (or less) Honey
5 oz Raw Spinach
1 tsp Vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350
- Line muffin tin with muffin cups
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl
- In a blender, blend the spinach, banana, honey, milk, egg, vanilla, and coconut oil until smooth
- Pour the wet, blended ingredients in with the dry and mix gently until combined (do not over mix)
- Spoon batter into muffin cups and bake for 18-20 minutes